Testing and Membership Qualifications


  • Reynolds Adaptable Intelligence Test
    • Saturday April 22, 2017
      Sayreville Public Library\Meeting Room
      1050 Washington Rd
      Parlin, NJ 08859

      10:00 AM - finish [or 12:00 PM]

      Please arrive at least 15 minutes early.
      Library opens at 9:30 AM.

      Walk-ins welcome!
      Register early to reserve a seat.

  • Culture Fair Test
    English not your first language? Do better with pictures, shapes and designs or non-timed exams? Loathe timed exams? Took the MAT, fell short, and want a second chance at qualifying?
    • Saturday April 22, 2017
      Sayreville Public Library\Meeting Room
      1050 Washington Rd
      Parlin, NJ 08859

      1:00 PM - 4:50 PM

      Please arrive at least 15 minutes early.

      Walk-ins welcome!
      Register early to reserve a seat.

Candidates need:

  1. $40 - Payment can be made online at https://www.us.mensa.org/join/testing/testingvoucher/ OR at the test session: cash, check, credit/debit card.
    If you purchase a voucher, print it and bring it with you.
  2. Two number 2 pencils
  3. Photo ID
  4. If between the ages of 14 and 18, need guardian's signature in person

If English is not the first language, candidates can consider taking the Culture Fair Test. Interested parties should register with the Test Coordinator. testing@cnj.us.mensa.org

Membership FAQ

How do I join?

It's easy. You can become a member of American Mensa in one of two ways:

  1. If you're age 14 or older (a guardian must sign a form at the site if you're between 14 and 17), you can take a supervised, standardized test in your area with one of our certified member volunteers.
  2. You can submit evidence of prior testing in the form of scores from a supervised, standardized test like the Stanford Binet, the Miller Analogies Test or the GMAT.

In either case, if you've scored in the top 2 percent, you'll qualify for membership in American Mensa. Then it's just a matter of paying your annual dues!

What happens if you aren't testing in my area soon?
  1. First off, double check with the Central NJ Mensa testing coordinator. While he may not have a test scheduled, he may add a testing session to the calendar if enough people request one.
  2. You don't have to test with the Region that you live closest to. All of the tests are the same throughout the nation, so if you find it easier to travel to another Mensa chapter to test, then do it! The qualification is for the American Mensa organization...not for the local groups. Once a national Mensa member, you may join any group throughout the world.
  3. You might also contact your secondary school, college or university and see about getting a copy of your transcript, which should indicate if you've taken any placement tests. It's certainly possible that you were given a placement test at an early age, and that test might be one of those we review for membership qualification.
  4. Another option would be to provide documentation from a state-licensed psychologist; many provide testing services for a fee.
How does the testing work? What can I expect?

There are two different tests that you may choose to take. One is the "Standard Test" which constitutes several sections including math, verbal, visual, conceptual, etc. and takes 2 hours to complete. The other one is called "Culture Fair" and is a non-verbal/non-written test based on images only and has no time limit. Each test costs $40 (U.S.) and it is recommended to take one test and find out the results before choosing to take the second test.

The tests are given by a certified Mensan proctor and can be held at a variety of locations (libraries, schools, hotel conference rooms, and even at the proctor's home). At times, proctors will accept requests for personal testing for individuals who cannot make group tests. Please ask the test coordinator if you want a test given on a certain date.

Further, please note that individuals can only take a test or test battery once unless American Mensa's Supervisory Psychologist provides an allowance for circumstantial reasons. Individuals who have taken a test or test battery and did not meet the requirement to join are encouraged to take another battery or submit evidence of prior testing.

It is important to note that the tests are given for the purpose of admission into Mensa and not to quantify intelligence. A qualifying score indicates that you've tested at, or better than, 98 percent of the general population. American Mensa will release membership qualification only. No further information on test scores will be released.

Can I take a practice test?

Yes! For $18, you may have a home practice test mailed to you with a return envelope. Once you take it and Mensa receives your practice test, we will grade it and inform you of the results. This will give you an idea if you are close to passing the real test. Please contact the test coordinator and she will tell you where to send your check.

You may also go to this website to do a shorter, quicker test:

Mensa International

Is there an age requirement? What about kids? Can they join?

We have members who range in age from 3 to 105. Certainly, kids can qualify and join. Gifted children between 14 and 17 can take one of our supervised, standardized tests (a guardian must sign a form at the site), and those under 14 can submit evidence of prior testing. Learn more about what Mensa offers kids.

Alright...so how do I get my young child tested?

Like we've said, there are two ways for children to join Mensa. Mensa will test children over the age of 14. Our tests are not standardized for anyone under that age. Younger children can be accepted into Mensa, however, they must submit prior evidence for admission.

Most schools administer tests that we accept for admission, following are some examples:

  • Otis Lennon (often given with the Stanford Achievement tests)
  • Stanford Binet
  • Cognitive Abilities Test
  • Test of Cognitive Skills Woodcock-Johnson Intelligence Test (not the Woodcock Johnson Achievement Test)

The scores required for these tests must be at or above the 98 percentile with an index or composite of 132.

Official documentation for school-administered tests may be one of the following:

  • An official school transcript (sealed in a school envelope OR with a school seal embossed on it) indicating the score
  • A letter from the guidance counselor, on school letterhead, indicating that the "Name of Test" scores are X, were taken on X, and signed by the counselor
  • An original (or notarized copy of the original) school psychologists report (on letterhead, with an original signature of the psychologist).

We also accept the:

  • Wechsler scales (WISC-R, WISC- III, WAIS-R, WAIS- III, WPPSI or WPPSI-III)

We require a full-scale score of 130 on these tests in order to qualify. Some school psychologists will give this test battery. Many parents however, opt to have the child tested by a child psychologist, when a school psychologist is not available.

For those children who have been tested by a private psychologist, scores must be presented in the following format:

  • Written on Psychologist/Clinic/Agency Letterhead
  • Candidate's name
  • Date of Testing
  • Name of Test
  • Full Scale IQ and percentile
  • An original signature of the psychologist giving the test, and their license number must be on the document.

If your child has not yet been tested we recommend the following options:

  1. Contact your child's pediatrician for a referral. You will want a psychologist who has experience working with children and is willing to sit down with you to go over the report and findings.
  2. Ask the school psychologist/counselor to test your child or refer you to someone who can. Going through the school will probably be the less expensive choice.

To apply for Mensa membership, please send the documentation, application, and evaluation fee to the address listed below.

American Mensa
1229 Corporate Dr West
Arlington, TX 76006

I think I was a member before. Do I have to test again?

If you are a former member of American Mensa and are currently living in the United States or its protectorates, you do not have to requalify your membership. You can simply reinstate your membership.

top of page